MTH215 College Algebra & Trigonometry
Lead Faculty: Dr. Igor Ya Subbotin
Examines higher degree polynomials, rational, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometry and matrix algebra needed for more specialized study in mathematics, computer science, engineering and other related fields. Computer and/or graphing calculator use is highly recommended.
- Graph and extract information from graphs of polynomial, rational, exponential and logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. Use symmetry and translation of axes.
- Graph polynomial functions and use the graph to approximate irrational roots.
- Understand the concept of a matrix, solve systems of linear and non-linear equations and inequalities using techniques of graphing, Cramer's Rule, determinants, matrices.
- Use calculators or tables to find trigonometric values for any angle. Make radian conversions. Solve any triangle, using the laws of sine and or cosine and find the components of vectors. Solve applied problems is which several forces are acting at a point are in equilibrium.
- Perform basic mathematical operations with complex numbers. Find complex solutions or certain equations.
- Identify, use notation and calculate sums and terms or arithmetic and geometric sequences.
- Represent situations and solve problems using algebraic equations and inequalities