CHE351A Organic Chemistry II Lab
Students will apply laboratory techniques learned in CHE350A to synthesize , purify and identify organic compounds including alcohols, aldehydes, aromatics, ketones, ethers, esters, amides and amines. The experiments will be done on a small scale approach or microscale. Contact hours for this laboratory course (45) are based on a 3:1 ratio, i.e. 3 Lab hours= 1 lecture hour equivalent.
- Apply Chemical procedure in the Laboratory following safety guidelines
- Conduct miniscale and/or microscale synthesis reactions for organic compounds.
- Sketch the extraction techniques to be use in the separation of mixtures of organic compounds.
- Examine Spectroscopic data from infrared, proton nuclear magnetic resonance, and ultraviolet to identify unknown samples
- Predict the major product of a chemical reaction based on the reaction's mechanism.
- Develop his/her own flow chart for the experimental procedure to follow during the experiment.
- Identifying and explaining sources of errors that might have affected the expected result
- Write scientific laboratory reports following the American Chemical Society ( ACS) Style Guide