RTT 320 Pro Ethics and Legal Issues
Lead Faculty: Ms. Mellonie Fisher Brown
Designed to provide sequential development, application, analysis, integration and evaluation of ethical and legal concepts and theories as they relate to radiation therapy practice.
- Identify theories and principles that guide ethical decision making for practice situations.
- Analyze practice situations that carry high potential for dilemmas that require ethical scrutiny.
- Evaluate a series of ethical dilemmas using the radiation therapy code of ethics.
- Explain the common theories and methods used in making value decisions and differentiate between morals and ethics.
- Describe how the basic principles used in the analysis of moral dilemmas function in radiation therapy.
- Explain the language of rights and the nature of the obligations that are attendant to these rights.
- Discuss the principle of confidentiality from different ethical points of view.
- Discuss access to health care in relation to justice and the allocation of scarce resources.
- Discuss for or against the adoption of “a right to die”.
- Develop an ethical rationale for the obligation of radiation therapists to study the issues of transcultural health.
- Define common legal terms and apply concepts related to social, political, economic and historic issues to analyze the different sources of law.
- Describe the steps in a civil legal procedure and identify the potential role of a radiation therapist.
- Assess the role of effective communication skills in reducing legal action.
- Analyze clinical practice issues of simulation, treatment delivery, patient assessment, patient education and quality assurance to determine if negligence is present.
- Describe the role of the radiation therapist in the informed consent process, patient rights, and practice standards.
- Evaluate safety measures to reduce patient injury.
- Discuss the importance of documentation and maintenance of clinical practice records.
- Discuss code ethics common to radiation therapy and formulate a risk management plan.