Specialization in Reading
Lead Faculty: Dr. Marilyn E. Moore
This four-course sequence is designed to meet the needs of teachers who already have a valid teaching credential, have two-years full-time teaching experience and want to attain a specialty in assessing student reading capabilities and provide appropriate reading instruction in response to those assessments (ARL 640C is the capstone course.)
Program Learning Outcomes
- Examine the theories and research related to effective reading and language arts instruction.
- Analyze current research on elements of an effective culture of literacy at the classroom, school, district, and community levels.
- Analyze current, confirmed, reliable and replicable quantitative and qualitative research pertaining to language and literacy instruction.
- Design appropriate assessment, instruction, and differentiation in the field.
- Evaluate the culture of literacy at a classroom, grade or school level, and identify how it supports or impedes students’ literacy development.