TEL601 TESL Teaching Methods: K-12
Examination of specific second language instructional approaches and methodologies and use of instructional materials in grades K-12. Demonstration and integration of the most effective age-appropriate strategies, techniques, resources, and technology applications for all students, especially English Language Learners.
- Identify and explain historical, legal, and political, sociological, and legislative foundations of educational programs for ESL learners.
- Describe and explain levels of English language development and their significance for instructional planning, organization, and delivery as well as the importance of organizing daily instruction, objectives, and assessments around standards and student-centered learning in classrooms.
- Identify, describe, and assess the most advantageous processes, resources, and strategies for English language development that could be applied in classrooms, including stimulating classroom environments, student-grouping, paraprofessionals, and family and community involvement.
- Identify, describe, and evaluate culturally responsive, age-appropriate, and linguistically accessible materials and resources that are suitable to English Learnersandamp;#8217; developing language and content-area abilities, including technological resources.
- Plan, design, and teach a lesson based on state adopted academic content standards that demonstrates a variety of efficient strategies, materials, and technology applications, pedagogical practices, sequencing, scaffolding, and differentiated instruction that addresses listening, speaking, reading, and writing for English language learners at varying proficiency levels in a classroom.
- Utilize and evaluate applied techniques to develop studentsandamp;#8217; academic language proficiency (speaking, listening, reading, writing) in school settings.