TED636 Methods: Mathematics-Science
Lead Faculty: Dr. Zhonghe Wu
Course DescriptionMultiple subject curriculum development in teaching math and science using State of California content standards. The course emphasizes content-specific teaching practices, lesson design, and assessment of student learning used to provide access to the curriculum for all students. This course requires four-hours of field experiences in a K6 classroom.
- Analyze three research, self-selected articles dealing with math or science found in the educational literature and research.
- Analyze five of eight school-based curricular documents in terms of curriculum, curricular decision-making, forces driving curricular decisions; curriculum ideologies/conceptions; and its usual curricular design (and process, if possible).
- Analyze instructional strategies for teaching K6 mathematics by focusing on the implementation of strategies, examples, lessons learned, and influences on future teaching practices.
- Analyze instructional strategies for teaching K6 science by focusing on the implementation of strategies, examples, lessons learned, and influences on future teaching practices.
- Write an analytical paper based on student-learning data obtained from a designed and implemented assessment instrument focused on a K-6 textbook (math and/or science).
- Create a one week Unit Plan in a K-6 mathematics or science academic content area. Design a K6 standards-based, mathematics lesson plan and provide rationales for all lesson plan elements.
- Design a K6 standards-based, science lesson plan and provide rationales for all lesson plan elements.