TED464 Mths Teach Sec Health Sci
Prepares individuals seeking a single subject teaching credential in Health Science to be effective and reflective teachers in middle or secondary schools. Candidates will learn pedagogical content knowledge, methods of teaching and learning, classroom management strategies, lesson planning, and assessment of student learning.
- Utilize developmentally appropriate grade level content using the Health Framework and Health Education Content Standards for California Public Schools in the following areas: personal health and lifelong wellness; physical activity and fitness; nutrition and diet; mental and emotional health; consumer and community health; violence prevention and safety; alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs; sexuality and family living; communicable and chronic diseases.
- Explain the role of the classroom teacher as a role model and leader in relation to development of students' physical, emotional, and social well-being; promotion of positive health choices; and coordination of school and community-wide efforts to improve the health of students.
- Select learning management strategies that support positive learning environments and ensure healthy human development within the cross-cultural, linguistically diverse classroom.
- Demonstrate instructional and technology materials and strategies appropriate for adolescent students.
- Identify the local, state, and national community and educational resources /agencies, and Internet resources necessary for meeting the health education needs of all learners.
- Explain multiple assessment practices and instruments that facilitate and account for learning and support positive growth for all students.
- Design lesson plans in an approved format that meet grade level health expectations as identified in the Health Framework and Health Education Content Standards for California Public Schools and that incorporate appropriate instructional objectives, a variety of efficient strategies and technologies, sequenced and differentiated instruction to accommodate students'; needs, and assessment measurements of student growth and learning.
- Discuss the professional standards, ethics, and reflective practices of the classroom teacher.