TED455 Methods of Teaching Science
Lead Faculty: Dr. Ronald Duke Saltinski
Prepare prospective science teachers to be accomplished teachers in present day diverse middle or secondary school classrooms by creating a vision for successful science teaching. Candidates will deliver pedagogical content knowledge through appropriate instructional materials and by creating context for meaningful learning methods, strategies, and best practices.
- Discuss and analyze national and state science standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of science content for secondary schools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the unique qualities of adolescents and young adults and the developmental factors that affect the teaching of science skills to this population.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to the affective and cognitive needs of diverse populations and cross-cultural literacies using the science curriculum.
- Demonstrate the use of current science methodologies and strategies.
- Demonstrate the use of current technology available to help develop students as science learners.
- Reflect on their own and others' instruction as a means for self-improvement and self-understanding.
- Demonstrate the ability to access resources that help improve instruction, advance the knowledge and practice of the field, and develop professionalism.