TED450 Methods of Teaching English
Lead Faculty: Ms. Caprice Houston-Bey
Prepares prospective English language arts teachers to be accomplished teachers in present day diverse middle or secondary school classrooms. Fundamental language skills including reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and visually representing will be studied. Prospective teachers will display knowledge and mastery of these skills and demonstrate how to imbed these concepts across the English language arts curriculum through rigorous and varied teaching methods. Opportunities will be provided to explore and analyze resources and to demonstrate and celebrate a commitment and responsibility to developing teaching skills.
- Discuss and analyze national and state English standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of English language arts content for secondary schools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the unique qualities of adolescents and young adults and the developmental factors that affect the teaching of English language arts skills to this population.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to the affective and cognitive needs of diverse populations and cross-cultural literacies using the English language arts curriculum.
- Demonstrate the use of current language arts methodologies and strategies for teaching various genres, literary perspectives, and visual/medial literacies and language approaches.
- Demonstrate the use of current technology available to help develop students as language learners.
- Reflect on their own and other’s instruction as a means for self-improvement and self-understanding.
- Demonstrate the ability to access resources that help improve instruction, advance the knowledge and practice of the field, and develop professionalism.