TED434 Methods of Teaching Social Sci
Lead Faculty: Dr Bernardo Gallegos
Prepares candidates in History/Social Science to be effective and reflective teachers, emphasizing current research. Comprehensive study of teaching methods in the social sciences: economics, history, political science, and geography. Candidates learn pedagogical content knowledge, methods of teaching and learning, classroom management strategies, lesson planning, and assessment of student learning.
- Utilize developmentally appropriate grade level content using the Health Framework and History- Social Science Content Standards for California Public Schools in the following areas: history, economics, political science, and geography.
- Explain the role of the classroom teacher as a role model and leader in relation to student learning and academic achievement; development of students' physical, emotional, and social well-being.
- Choose supporting positive learning environments in management strategies that ensure development within the cross-cultural, linguistically diverse classroom.
- Demonstrate social science teaching materials, use of technology, methods, and strategies appropriate for secondary school age.
- Identify the local, state, and national community and educational resources and agencies, and Internet resources necessary for meeting the social science requirements of all learners.
- Design lesson plans in an approved format that meet grade level social science expectations as identified in the Health Framework and History- Social Science Content Standards for California Public Schools.
- Discuss the professional standards, ethics, and reflective practices of the classroom teacher in order to effectively enable, promote, and reinforce learning among students.