TED351 Teaching STEM Methods
Lead Faculty: Dr. Mary Anne Weegar
Course DescriptionThis eight week course is designed to prepare pre-service teachers with the knowledge and skills necessary to teach students in grades K-8 science, technology, engineering, and mathematics(STEM). This includes developing rigorous, standards-based lessons that are engaging, enjoyable, and meaningful to students. Opportunities will also be provided to explore, analyze, and incorporate digital resources for teaching STEM methods.
- Research and analyze the profound gap between the knowledge and skills most students learn in school and the knowledge and skills needed to meet the nationandapos;s current workforce development needs in STEM-related fields.
- Analyze local, state, and/or national data comparing equity gaps for students entering STEM-related careers
- Apply evidence-based methods for teaching STEM content and concepts
- Apply evidence-based strategies for differentiation of STEM instruction for diverse students including culture/race, ability/disability, gender, age, socioeconomic status
- Analyze strategies for overcoming barriers to applying instructional strategies that infuse problem-solving, rigorous and relevant questions, systems thinking, problem identification, formulation and solution into instruction and develop strategies to overcome the difficulty
- Apply evidence-based research and redesign a classroom unit utilizing STEM education attributes