TED350 Math and Science Methods
Lead Faculty: Dr. Lynne Anderson
Includes content, methods, and materials for teaching mathematics and science in an integrated elementary classroom. Strategies for implementing and assessing student achievement will be introduced.
- Demonstrate the background and skills necessary to teach standards-based elementary math and science and to develop instructional materials so as to create a positive learning environment in the cross-cultural, linguistically diverse classroom.
- Acquire skills through inquiry, the scientific method, to foster the ability of students to evaluate information, think analytically, and reach sound conclusions.
- Acquire techniques to effectively use technology to access the core curriculum, integrate math and science across the curriculum, organize teaching, and investigate web resources.
- Identify a list of websites that could be used to enhance mathematics and science instruction and to integrate math and science across the curriculum.
- Properly identify students' prior knowledge, select appropriate instructional objectives, and measure student progress.
- Compare and contrast formal and informal methods to assess students' needs and achievements, as well as an awareness of cultural and linguistic limitations of assessment practices and instruments.
- Demonstrate classroom management strategies such as organizing and arranging a classroom, managing student work, and maintaining accountability as they relate to the teaching of mathematics and science.
- Recognize the importance of fostering positive self-esteem in all students by providing suitable reinforcement and feedback.