TED320 Introduction to Teaching
Introduces teacher candidates to teaching as a profession.
Included in this course is the process and procedures for creating an ePortfolio. Course is offered over a 2 month period to be completed prior to enrollment in other TED courses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the commitment, rewards and responsibilities of a teaching career.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the attitudes and dispositions of a professional educator.
- Describe the role of teachers within schools, the community, society, and in the world.
- Communicate orally and in writing the current issues and trends in education today.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the diversity served in student populations and the social issues affecting teaching and learning.
- Articulate the state professional teaching standards (California Teaching Performance Expectations, Nevada (Nevada Teaching Standards), and Hawaii Teacher Performance Standards) and demonstrate the connection between the state standards and the professional standards for the teaching profession.
- Demonstrate understanding of the legal, ethical and the school law as it pertains to the particular state (California, Hawaii, Nevada).
- Utilize systematic observations in a responsible manner to support individual professional growth as an educator resulting in a written philosophy of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, need for, and use of a professional electronic portfolio.