TED305 Teaching as a Profession
Lead Faculty: Dr. Mary Anne Weegar
First course in California Teacher Credentialing program, candidates introduced to California Standards of the Teaching Profession (CSTP), Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs) and California Teaching Performance Assessment (TPA) process. Candidates explore role of teachers within schools, community, society, and in world; and an understanding of the commitment, rewards and responsibilities of a teaching career, as well as the process and procedures for creating a Professional Electronic Portfolio. Includes 15 hours of field experience. Course will be offered over a 2 month format and must be completed prior to enrollment in other TED courses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the commitment, rewards and responsibilities of a teaching career.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the attitudes and dispositions of a professional educator.
- Describe the role of teachers within schools, the community, society, and in the world.
- Communicate orally and in writing the current issues and trends in education today.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the diversity served in student populations and the social issues affecting teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate understanding of the legal, ethical and technology issues as they pertain to teaching.
- Articulate the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP ), California Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs), and demonstrate the connection between the state standards and the professional standards for the teaching profession.
- Utilize systematic observations in a responsible manner to support individual professional growth as an educator resulting in a written philosophy of teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, need for, and use of a professional electronic portfolio.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the California Teaching Performance Assessments(TPA) process and describe and demonstrate how the TPAs will be used to assess their knowledge, skills and dispositions during the teaching credential program.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the credentialing process and the requirements for achieving a teaching credential.