LTL606B S-B Assessment: Sec Schs
Lead Faculty: Dr. Peter I. Serdyukov
Examines and applies the theory of assessment and specific approaches and techniques of standards-based assessment and use of materials including tests for Single Subject Teaching Credential (CAHSEE, SHSP, PSAT and vocational assessment), in order to implement the most effective assessments in their teaching practices for all students, especially English Language Learners, in middle and secondary schools based on age-appropriate tools.
- Demonstrate understanding of how the California English Language Development standards support the English Language Arts standards (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 001, 1).
- Demonstrate knowledge of assessment issues related to reliability, validity, and test bias and their significance for English Learners. (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 002, 3).
- Demonstrate an ability to use ELD and content standards to design and provide differentiated instructional and assessment based on students’ assessed English proficiency level (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 001, 4).
- Demonstrate knowledge of State-mandated standardized assessments, including the role and use of data from the California ELD Test (CELDT) in designing, monitoring , and refining instruction and in differentiating, placement and redesignation/reclassification (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 002, 1).
- Demonstrate understanding of the role and purposes of assessment in programs for English Learners and applied knowledge of how to identify and address cultural and linguistic bias in student assessment (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 002, 2, 4).
- Demonstrate understanding of various types of classroom assessments for English Language Learners (such as STAR) and their purposes, features and limitations; understanding of the importance of selecting and using appropriate classroom assessments; (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 002, 5, 6).
- Demonstrate knowledge of the characteristics, advantages and limitations of various informal and formal ELD assessments in middle and secondary school (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 003, 1).
- Demonstrate conceptual understanding and applied knowledge of how to interpret and use assessment results in the areas of oral language, reading and writing, and the content areas (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 003, 2).
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze student assessment and assessment results in order to modify and differentiate instruction, to plan strategies for reteaching specific content and/or skills as necessary, and to select or design classroom modifications/interventions to address individual English Learner’s needs. (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 003, 3).
- Apply strategies for ensuring that differentiated, standards-based assessment and instruction address the needs of English learners in middle and secondary school (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 001, 2).
- Use formative and summative assessment to design and implement differentiated, standards-based instruction (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 001, 3).
- Apply strategies for differentiating and scaffolding ELD and content-area assessment tasks for English Learners (CTEL Section 2, Domain 1, 003, 4).