Specialization in Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
The specialization in Deaf and Hard of Hearing is designed for educators and other professionals who want to become knowledgeable about teaching strategies to enhance students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify the etiologies, learning characteristics, language and cognitive development related to hearing loss.
- Communicate using a variety of strategies in signed and spoken language to interact directly and effectively with students who are deaf or hard of hearing, deaf-blind and/or with additional disabilities.
- Apply techniques that develop age appropriate language and cognitive skills, using both visual (signed) and/or auditory (spoken) input for students who are deaf or hard of hearing including those who are deaf-blind with additional disabilities.
- Collaborate effectively with a multi-disciplinary educational team to provide assessments, planning, and implementation strategies for children birth to age 5 that are deaf or hard of hearing, deaf-blind and/or with additional disabilities.
- Analyze the characteristics of students who are deaf or hard of hearing and exhibit additional disabilities that are associated with hearing loss and identify behaviors that require specialized instruction and/or adaptation and/or modifications in instruction.
- DHH 632 Charac of D/HH Learners
- DHH 634 Assess & Inst D/HH Birth-5yrs
- DHH 636 Language Develop Methods D/HH
- DHH 638 Literacy Develop D/HH
- DHH 640 Inst D/HH with Special Needs
- DHH 692A Internship DHH
- DHH 692B Internship DHH
- SPD 698A Internship Seminar
- SPD 698B Internship Seminar
- DHH 682A Student Teaching
- DHH 682B Student Teaching
- SPD 688A Clinical Practice Seminar
- SPD 688B Clinical Practice Seminar
- TED 635 Methods:History/SS-Heal-PE-Art
- TED 636 Methods: Mathematics-Science
- TED 626 Classroom Management
- TED 530A Student Teaching I
- TED 531A Student Teaching Seminar I
- TED 531B Student Teaching Seminar II
- TED 610 Best Internship Practices
- TED 628A Internship Clinical Practice I
- TED 631A Internship Seminar I
- TED 628B Internship Clinical Pract. II
- TED 631B Internship Seminar II