Preliminary Education Specialist Authorization Teaching Credential
Dr. Denise Hexom
The Preliminary Education Specialist Authorization Teaching Credential is designed to address both the Education Specialist Standards and the program specific standards, including the Teacher Performance Expectations and California Standards for the Teaching Profession.
For additional information on credential requirements, please see the School of Education Credential Information section of the catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate professional, legal, and ethical practices when instructing students with disabilities.
- Teach students who are diverse learners including those who are English language learners.
- Communicate effective case management and collaborative practices with parents, professionals, and other stake holders, in order to facilitate access to the core curriculum for students with disabilities.
- Assess students using a variety of standardized and non-standardized assessments in order to make appropriate educational decisions for students with disabilities
- Develop evidence-based curriculum and instruction including the use of educational and assistive technology to provide access to the core standards for students with disabilities.
- Transition students between educational environments and programs into successful post school experiences.
To receive a California Preliminary Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate, Moderate/Severe, or Deaf and Hard of Hearing, teaching credential candidates are required to successfully complete core courses, specific program (advanced) courses, and a clinical practice path to supervised teaching (student teaching or internship).
Candidates choosing the Internship option to obtain the Preliminary Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate, Moderate/Severe, or Deaf and Hard of Hearing teaching credential will need to meet the Internship Eligibility requirements.
The CTC mandates approved internship programs require a minimum of 120 hours of pre-service coursework prior to becoming the teacher of record. 4.5 quarter units are equal to 40 clock hours. These pre-service courses must be successfully completed prior to eligibility for completing the internship option.
Requirements for the Credential (19-21 courses; 81-90 quarter units)
Corequisites (2 courses; 9 quarter units)
Core Requirements (10 courses; 45 quarter units)
Students must also complete one of the following specializations