HCM400 Princ of Hosp & Casino Acct
Lead Faculty: Dr. Michael Charles Pickett
Course DescriptionThis course encompasses financial reporting systems, internal controls, managerial reporting and federal and state regulations that impact the accounting in a hotel, resort or casino environment. Students will gain hands-on experience in complying with GAAP and legal requirements of financial reporting in the hospitality and casino industries.
- Demonstrate an understand fundamental accounting and financial management concepts.
- Evaluate financial statements accounting departments in the hospitality industry produce and the types of information these reports provide.
- Be able to use the basic vocabulary and definitions associated with accounting and financial management as applied to the hospitality industry.
- Develop the skills necessary to understand and communicate financial data to make sound decisions and powerful presentations.
- Generate and analyze fundamentals of ratio analysis and how ratios are used in financial statements and in making business decisions for the hospitality industry.
- Use common methods of analysis when to measure a hospitality business's financial performance.
- Evaluate ethical concerns in accounting in the hospitality and casino industries.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of major accounting concepts in writing and orally using proper business communications techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to use on-line resources to research and prepare written and oral assignments.