CJA610 Critical Issues in CJ
Lead Faculty: Dr Ponzio Oliverio
A seminar course focusing on contemporary issues related to problem-oriented policing (POP) and community-oriented policing (COP). Other topics include morale, motivation, retention, selection, recruitment, standards and training, evidence, arrest, lethal force, victim-witness, police reserves, and the cooptation of citizens in law enforcement by the criminal justice manager.
- Write a case brief evaluating the analysis and holdings of the court.
- Analyze and detect the issues, analysis and holding of the courts in actual recent cases.
- Evaluate and assess the foundational issues facing society today in the legal system.
- Compare contemporary issues and specific problems facing the criminal justice supervisor.
- Evaluate issues in problem-oriented policing (POP), and community-oriented policing (COP).
- Analyze issues of police morale, motivation, retention, selection, and recruitment.
- Assess criminal justice practices involving collection of evidence, arrest, and use of force.
- Evaluate the role of various agencies when they work with other criminal justice agencies, police reserves, and the cooptation of citizens in law enforcement by the police manager.