CJA229 Introduction to Policing
Lead Faculty: Dr. James E. Guffey
This course is designed to provide the student with a basic understanding of the role of the peace officer in American society. The course will examine the steps in selecting candidates for the position of police officer, the complexity of the enforcement requirement, the challenges that face peace officers each day, the limitations placed on peace officers by all three branches of government at both the state and federal levels.
- Explain the historical background of policing in England and the U.S.
- Describe and Explain the difference between public and private security in the U.S.
- Explain the significance of police culture, personality, and stress as it impacts the quality of law enforcement in the U.S.
- Describe and explain the importance of diversity in law enforcement.
- Describe and explain police operations.
- Describe and explain the importance of thorough and ethical investigations as it relates to policing.
- Describe and explain the significance of police-community relations to successful policing.