PLX 1001X Leg Res Wrtg-Briefing/Analysis
Develops legal research skills through focused exercises using print and computerized research. Exposes students to primary and secondary legal authorities, with an emphasis on constitutions and statututes. Develops writing skills by analyzing and briefing court opinions, drafting letters, and examining the purposes and uses of a legal memorandum.
- Describe what comprises the law in our society, including court opinions, and state and federal regulations, with an emphasis on constitutions and statutes.
- Demonstrate manual legal research skills by completing focused exercises in the use of case reporters, digests, annotated codes, Shepard's, and legal encyclopedias.
- Demonstrate computer legal research skills by completing focused exercises in the use of case reporters, digests, annotated codes, Shepard's, and legal encyclopedias.
- Brief court opinions.
- Describe the contents of a legal memorandum.
- Discuss how to develop a legal research strategy.
- Understand how to draft various types of legal correspondence.
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.