SOC352 Modern Chinese Culture
Lead Faculty: Dr Michael M. Day
Course DescriptionThis course will introduce the students to the major aspects of modern Chinese culture since 1949. The changing social composition and the development of a modern popular culture since 1976 will be closely examined, as will the transformation of Chinese society from Maoist conformity to the cultural pluralism of today, as well as the new social problems these changes have brought.
- Identify the major cultural changes of recent decades
- Describe current developing trends in popular culture
- Examine new developments in social segmentation
- Analyze the influence of elements of capitalism on the economy and culture
- Recognize the impact of Western culture