POL410 Middle Eastern Politics
Lead Faculty: Dr. Shak Hanish
Historical examination of the Middle East region, focusing on the key social forces and the sources of conflict; exploration of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in-depth and the peace process; exploration of the U.S. involvement in Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East.
- Identify the drastic changes in the Middle East in the last decades.
- Describe the historical and geographical features of the Middle East.
- Examine ethnic diversity and social division in the region.
- Analyze the emergence of religion of Islam and Islamic fundamentalism.
- Recognize the role of imperialism in the Middle East and the emergence of the new nation-states.
- Identify the roots of the Arab-Israeli conflict and the prospect for peace in the Middle East.
- Explain the Gulf Crises and the American involvement in the Iraqi issue.