HIS346 Chinese History and Culture I
Lead Faculty: Dr. Michael M. Day
A historical overview of Chinese civilization from its Neolithic origins to the founding of the Ming Dynasty. The foundations of Chinese civilization and the core of Chinese culture will be elucidated through a focus on key aspects of governance, economy, foreign relations, literature and the arts, and their development during this period.
- Identify key developments in Chinese civilization since the Neolithic age.
- Recognize geographical features and their impacts on cultural development in China, as well as the fluidity of borders.
- Examine new developments in social segmentation
- Analyze the influence of elements of capitalism on the economy and culture
- Recognize the impact of Western culture