HIS342 History of Modern Middle East
Lead Faculty: Dr. Ramin Sarraf
Investigates roots of present-day events in Modern Middle East since 1600 CE. Surveys history of the region, pre-modern empires, European colonization, and renaissance of Middle East culture in the 18th and 19th century, movement toward independent states, and emergence of Pan-Arabism and Islamist ideologies of the 20th century.
- Identify the drastic changes in the Middle East in the last decades.
- Describe the historical and geographical features of the Middle East.
- Analyze the historical significance of the emergence of Islam and Islamic fundamentalism.
- Recognize the role of imperialism in the Middle East and the emergence of the new nation-states.
- Identify the roots of the Arab-Israeli conflict and the prospect for peace in the Middle East.