GLS410 Gender and Global Society
Lead Faculty: Dr. Lorna L. Zukas
Examines how people experience genders and sexuality in global society. Explores how gender and sexuality relate to other categories of social identity and
difference including race and social class. Analyzes media representations of gender roles and stereotypes.
- Explain differences among histories of the treatment of women in, for example, China, Latin America, and Africa.
- Show in-depth knowledge, as demonstrated in a research project, of one specific non-western culture's network of gender relations.
- Explain the relationship between the cultural construction of gender difference and men's and women's differing status, political representation, and economic participation.
- Analyze and criticize the process of confrontation between the cultures and the global or the western community.
- Analyze the representation of gender in the media and the arts.