PSY612A Clinical Assessment I
Lead Faculty: Dr. Valerie L. Alexander
This course discusses clinical assessment from the bio-psycho-social-spiritual, resiliency, recovery and medical models. Interviewing skills and the use of assessment instruments are covered. Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment approaches for anxiety disorders and obsessive-compulsive and related disorders.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of how the DSM is organized and used.
- Assess clients from the DSM, resilience, recovery, and other assessment models.
- Conduct a biopsychosocial intake assessment in a role-play client session.
- Assess crisis situations in a role-play client session.
- Develop a DSM diagnosis from case vignettes and client role-play sessions.
- Integrate appropriate psychological tests commonly used by Master's level therapists into the assessment of a role-play client.
- Diagnose clients using the DSM criteria for Adjustment Disorders, Anxiety and OCD Disorders, and the 'V-codes.'