PSY455 Psychology of Bereavement
Lead Faculty: Dr. Brenda Lee Shook
Course DescriptionAn exploration of the basic psychological concepts associated with death, dying, and bereavement. Course work will include lectures, discussions, exams, research, and experiential exercises.
- Assess the similarities and differences between bereavement, mourning, and grief
- Compare and contrast normal and uncomplicated bereavement responses.
- Evaluate the societal implications of disenfranchised losses.
- Compare and contrast major bereavement process theories.
- Assess how culture, religion, and spirituality are related to oneandapos;s bereavement reactions.
- Appraise how bereavement and loss are perceived, understood, and expressed at different stages of oneandapos;s life.
- Enumerate the ways in which bereavement in the workplace are experienced.
- Evaluate the needs and experiences of those who are dying and their families.