PSY445 Applied Sport Psychology
Lead Faculty: Dr. Sarah Castillo
This course examines the application of psychological theories and research to sports and exercise behaviors. Case studies from a variety of sports will be explored to develop a set of psychological skills that can be applied across sports.
- Understand and describe the major psychological theories used in sport psychology to explain athletic performance.
- Apply the concepts of goal setting, anxiety, anger, concentration, and imagery.
- Discuss how psychological factors influence performance in sports, and techniques to increase performance and reduce anxiety.
- Discuss how psychological tendencies and physiology work together to improve or reduce athletic efficiency.
- Apply knowledge obtained through current research to common situations experienced by a coach, athletic trainer, or sports psychologist.