PSY443 Culture and Sport Psychology
Lead Faculty: Dr Sarah Castillo
Course DescriptionThis course looks at the importance of culture on the development of sports, performance, and sport psychology. Research and case studies will be used to study the importance of integrating a multicultural perspective when working with athletes.
- Discuss the relevance of understanding culture when working with athletes.
- Discuss current research on the impact of religion, gender, disability, culture, and social structure on coaching and athletic performance.
- Discuss strategies for working with athletes from a variety of cultures.
- Discuss current theories regarding race, ethnic groups, and the strategies for increasing multicultural competency
- Apply culturally sensitive practices to a case scenario working with athletes from diverse populations.