PSY430 Intro to Psychopathology
Lead Faculty: Dr. Brenda Lee Shook
Course DescriptionAn overview of sociocultural views and scientific theories of normalcy and deviance. The major psychological, cognitive, and behavioral disorders and their classification are examined.
- Trace historical developments in the understanding and treatment of abnormal behavior.
- Describe major theories of abnormal behavior, emotion and cognition.
- Summarize and give examples of current diagnostic systems.
- Describe the major personality disorders.
- Describe the major disorders of mood and anxiety.
- Summarize disorders of eating, substance abuse, sexual functioning and gender identity.
- Compare and contrast cognitive and psychotic disorders.
- Describe the fundamental concepts of civil and criminal commitment, competence to stand trial, and the protection of patients' rights.