PSY426 History of Psychology
Lead Faculty: Dr. Brenda Lee Shook
Contemporary psychology derives from two main sources: (1) the rise of the scientific method and worldview in Western Europe during the modern era and (2) perennial issues in philosophy throughout its entire history in the West. This course reviews influences from both sources on the development of psychology, especially in America.
- Discuss the historical foundation of the science of psychology.
- Describe the influence of philosophy on the development of psychology.
- Define, compare, and contrast the concepts of structuralism and functionalism.
- Identify and define the influence of specific historical figures on the development of psychology.
- Discuss the role of Sigmund Freud in the development of current psychological theory and society.
- Describe the influence of the rise of the Cognitive/Behavioral approach to psychological treatment.
- Discuss the current state of the field of psychology including such topics as diversity, medical vs. non-medical models of treatment, role of gender and sexual orientation, and multi-cultural influences.