PSY300 Social Psychology of Sport
Lead Faculty: Dr. Sarah Castillo
The relationship between psychology, social relationships, and sport. The concepts of group dynamics, motivation, social support, coaching relationships, and the wider social context's relationship to the individual and the sport will be explored. The course will utilize both theoretical and research findings to suggest practical applications in sports performance.
- Discuss the development of sports in a social psychological context.
- Analyze the current development of sports and their interaction with social relationships, influences, and perceptions.
- Articulate the importance of group dynamics and the relationships between coaches and students as well as peer relationships in team and individual sports
- Discuss the role of culture and the importance of diversity in understanding macro-and micro-level trends in sports.
- Apply a culturally sensitive approach in analyzing motivation, anxiety, performance, and achievement.