PSY300 Social Psychology of Sport
Lead Faculty: Dr. Sarah Castillo
Course DescriptionThe relationship between psychology, social relationships, and sport. The concepts of group dynamics, motivation, social support, coaching relationships, and the wider social contextandapos;s relationship to the individual and the sport will be explored. The course will utilize both theoretical and research findings to suggest practical applications in sports performance.
- Discuss the development of sports in a social psychological context.
- Analyze the current development of sports and their interaction with social relationships, influences, and perceptions.
- Articulate the importance of group dynamics and the relationships between coaches and students as well as peer relationships in team and individual sports
- Discuss the role of culture and the importance of diversity in understanding macro-and micro-level trends in sports.
- Apply a culturally sensitive approach in analyzing motivation, anxiety, performance, and achievement.