PSY100 Introduction to Psychology
Lead Faculty: Dr. Brenda Lee Shook
A survey of the field of psychology that provides an overview of the scientific principles and theories in psychology. Topics include: biological psychology, abnormal behavior, motivation, emotion, sexuality and gender, and personality theory.
- Describe the scientific method as it applies to psychology.
- Define major processes of cognition and social cognition.
- List the major structures of the brain and endocrine system and describe their major functions.
- Explain the different states of consciousness and altered states of consciousness.
- List the major stages of development throughout the lifespan.
- Describe the psychological issues related to gender and sexuality.
- Describe the major theories of personality.
- Describe the major theories of emotion and motivation.
- Define the major psychological disorders and describe how they are identified.