ADC265 Group & Family Counseling
Lead Faculty: Mr. Donald R. Posson
Course DescriptionThis course examines group counseling and family systems theories related to working with substance abuse clients and their families. Students will learn the application of these theories through the use of video sessions and case studies.
- Describe the purpose and function of different types of counseling groups
- Identify the stages of group process and the role of the group counselor at various stages of group development.
- Discuss the types of groups used with chemically dependent clients.
- Discuss theories of family systems counseling.
- Identify techniques for motivating family involvement in the treatment process,
- Identify appropriate 12-Step Programs for family members.