ADC205 Intro to Substance Abuse
Lead Faculty: Dr. Donald R. Posson
Course DescriptionFocus on the definitions and diagnostic criteria for substance abuse and dependence, theories of etiology, medical and social model approaches, and the use of 12-step programs as adjuncts to treatment. It introduces the twelve core functions of chemical dependency counseling.
- Describe the concepts of substance abuse and dependence.
- Differentiate between Substance Abuse and Dependence.
- Describe the biological, cognitive- behavioral, social learning, psychodynamic, and family systems theories of etiology.
- Identify the twelve core functions of chemical dependency counseling.
- Identify the differences between the medical and social models of treatment.
- Describe the use of 12-step programs in substance abuse treatment.
- Identify issues of substance abuse for special populations including ethnic groups, adolescents, women, and dual-diagnosis psychiatric clients.
- Describe the relapse process in addiction recovery.