Bachelor of Arts Major in Biological Science with a California Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential
Dr. Bhaskara Reddy
The Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Biological Science with a Preliminary Single Subject Credential provides a rigorous education that prepares candidates for a career as a teacher at the middle and secondary school levels. The program builds a conceptual foundation in biological science. This program prepares candidates for professional work as single subject teachers in a changing cultural and economic environment.
For additional information on credential requirements, please see the School of Education Credential Information section of the catalog.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Describe cell structure and physiological functioning of microbes
and macroscopic organisms, including plants and animals.
- Identify major human organ systems, and the roles of their constituent organs.
- Explain structure and function of DNA and other important molecules (e.g., proteins), including patterns of chromosomal inheritance.
- Discuss biodiversity and evolutionary history of Earth’s organisms.
- Describe ecological interactions at the levels of the population, community, and ecosystem.
- Discuss fundamental concepts of natural and physical science including methods of scientific inquiry, ethics, and
- Explain how to support growth in cognitive, social, physical, and emotional domains.
- Utilize different teaching strategies to accomplish teaching and learning goals.
- Create positive learning environments that ensure healthy human growth.
- Utilize systematic observations, documentation, and other effective assessment strategies in a responsible manner to facilitate and account for learning and to support positive growth.
- Design, implement, and evaluate standards-based lesson plans for learning and achievement in content areas.
- Integrate educational technology to meet the needs of all learners.
- Demonstrate professional standards and ethics.