Dr. Nina Stankous
- Dr. Nina Stankous
- Associate Professor
Teaching philosophy: Teaching is not how much I know but how much my students gain from my class.
Taught over 100 Math and Science classes at National University for the last fourteen years. The list includes, but not limited:
- MTH 410 Computer Technology in the Mathematical Classroom
- MTH 411 Number Theory
- MTH 432 Advanced Calculus
- MTH 438 Mathematical Modeling
- MTH 435 Linear Algebra
- MTH 412 History of Math
- MTH 416 Algebraic Structures
- MTH 417 Foundations of Geometry
- MTH 418 Statistical Analysis
- MTH 433 Differential Equations
- MTH 438 Mathematical Modeling
- MTH 440 Numerical Analysis
- MTH 460 Problem Solving Strategy
- MTH 311 Topics of Geometry
- MTH 210 Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- MTH 215 Algebra and Trigonometry
- MTH 12(a,b) Beginning Algebra
- SCI 301 Earth and Planetary Sciences
- SCI 102 Survey of Physical Sciences
- SCI 400 History of Sciences
- SCI 322 Oceanography
Prior to coming to the US, Dr. Stankous had 20 years' experience of applied and theoretical research for the National Space Program at the Russian Academy of Sciences.
She is continuously involved in scholarship and research. Her scholarship at National University is focused on two directions: math education and mathematical modeling of "Hi-Tech" problems (thin film and its application for Nanotechnology).
1. A.S. Ovcharova, N.V.Stankous "Rupture of Liquid Film Placed on Solid Substrate and Heated on Above”, - Interfacial Phenomena and Heat Transfer, 2 (2): 129–138 (2014)
2. A.S. Ovcharova, N.V.Stankous "Rupture of Liquid Film Placed on Solid Substrate and on Deep Liquid under Action of Thermal Beam" - 7th Conference of the International Marangoni Association, IMA7, June 23-26, 2014, Vienna, Vienna University of Technology, Book of Abstracts, p.106.
3. Overcoming Math Anxiety: Student Projects as an Effective Instructional Strategy(2011), International Journal of Arts & Sciences (IJAS), 4(8), pp.285-289.
4. Math Teacher Preparation Using CSET: Problems and Solutions (2011), Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching, 4(1), p.149 -158
5. Challenges of Examinations for Mathematics Teachers in California (2011), DIDACTICS of MATHEMATICS: Problems and Investigations: International Collection of Scientific Works, v 35. Donetsk.: DonNU, p. 113 - 121.
6. A coalescence of two close liquid drops suspended in a different liquid of the same density (2010), IMA-5 conference, University of Paris-Sud 11, Florence, Italy, June 7- 10, 2010.
7. Aleksandr Kupershtokh, Alla Ovcharova, Nina Stankous “Mechanism of coalescence of two close liquid drops suspended in a different liquid of the same density” , Fourth International Topical Team Workshop on Two-Phase System for Ground and Space Applications, Novosibirsk, Russia, Sept.6-8, 2009.
8. N.V. Stankous “ Student Projects as a Tool of Teaching Math”, 7th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education, January 2009, Conference Proceedings, ISSN#1541-5880, pp.794 -800.
9. N.V. Serdyukova, N.V. Stankous “Accelerated Online General Physics Course: A concept and Design – 2008 Gordon Research Conference, June 2008.
10. N.V. Stankous “ Best Ptactice for CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) Single Subject Math”, Hawaii International Conference on Education, Conference Proceedings, p.6163 (21 page).
11. N. Stankous, A. Ovcharova “Deformation and Break of Freely Hanging Thin Film under Microgravity Conditions”, Fluid Mechanics &Material Processing vol.103, no.1, pp.1-8, 2008
12. Numerical Research of Non-equilibrium Supersonic Gas Jet Start. Ph.D. Dissertation, Institute of Thermophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 1985, 140 p.