MTH460 Problem Solving Strategies
Lead Faculty: Dr. Igor Ya Subbotin
The aim in the course is not to impart any specific body of knowledge, but rather to foster the students' understanding that mathematics is a science of identifying,
solving problems and generalizing. The course includes the description of main approaches to solving standard and challenge math problems.
- Demonstrate abilities in the listed above strategies.
- Prove mathematical statements by induction, exhaustion, contradiction and other strategies.
- Perform diagnosis on student work and make proper recommendations.
- Form and prove conjectures.
- Demonstrate confidence that they will either know an answer to their own students' questions, or know where to look for an answer.
- Exhibit the unity of diverse mathematical fields.
- Encourage students to have fun with mathematics.