MTH311 Topics from Geometry
Lead Faculty: Dr. Igor Ya Subbotin
Course DescriptionA survey of main concepts of Euclidean geometry with the emphasis on the axiomatic approach, constructions, logic of proof, and some ideas from non- Euclidean geometry including historical aspects. A study of axioms of Euclidean Geometry, inference rule, some basic theorems of Euclidean Geometry, and rigorous proofs will be offered.
- Exhibit problem solving strategies and critical thinking skills.
- Perform geometric constructions using a straight-edge and compass.
- Apply algebraic skills to geometric problems.
- Solve mathematical and logical problems which require geometric skills.
- Prove geometric theorems using both direct and indirect proof structures.