MTH216A College Algebra I
Lead Faculty: Dr. Igor Ya Subbotin
The first part of a comprehensive two-month treatment of algebra and trigonometry preliminary to more specialized study in mathematics. The course covers higher degree polynomials, rational functions,exponential and logarithmic functions, transformations and the algebra of function, matrix algebra
and basic arithmetic of complex numbers.
- Graph and extract information from graphs of polynomial, rational, exponential and logarithmic functions.
- Graph polynomial functions and use the graph to approximate irrational roots.
- Understand the concept of a matrix, solve systems of linear and non-linear equations and inequalities using techniques of graphing, Cramer's Rule, determinants, matrices.
- Perform basic mathematical operations with complex numbers. Find complex solutions or certain equations.
- Identify, use notation and calculate sums and terms or arithmetic and geometric sequences.