FSC634 Forensic Serology and DNA
Lead Faculty: Dr Ismail M. Sebetan
Course DescriptionForensic identification, analysis, and comparison of the biological evidentiary samples. Electrophoresis, DNA extraction and purification procedures. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and methods of genetics and DNA analysis and detection. Casework training and students will get hands-on experience.
- Explain how the forensic serology discipline utilizes the genetic markers typing and DNA profiling, in criminal investigations, to associate a person, place, or item with a crime, and in civil applications, such as paternity testing, baby mix-up, and as an aid in identifying individuals.
- Describe methods of red cell antigens, serum/plasma, red cell enzyme analysis and DNA profiling.
- Recognize the significance of maintaining chain-of-custody of the samples and applying the laboratory safety measures.
- Know the significance and value of quality assurance and quality control.
- Explain fully the duties of the serologist/DNA analyst as expert witness.