CHE360 Biochemistry I
Lead Faculty: Dr Dzung T. Nguyen
Study of the structures and functions of important classes of biological molecules: proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and lipids. A strong and current background in chemistry is required to successfully complete this course.
- Identify major classes of polymeric biological molecules and their monomeric building blocks.
- Describe physical and chemical properties of major classes of polymeric biological molecules
- Explain the specificity of enzymes, and rates of enzymatic processes.
- Describe how nucleic acids store and transmit genetic information.
- Describe how carbohydrates and lipids are used both as energy storage and building cellular units.