CHE350 Organic Chemistry I
Lead Faculty: Dr. Dzung T. Nguyen
Course DescriptionIntroduces students to the chemistry of carbon compounds and their properties, structures and reactions. It emphasizes the study of the properties and reactions of aliphatic, halides, alcohols, esters, thiols and sulfides, and aromatic compounds, which in conjunction with selected experiments, gives an understanding of the mechanisms of organic reactions.
- Explain the bonding properties of carbon which result in a large and diverse important compounds
- Employ various theoretical models to correlate the chemical structure, reactivity, and activity.
- Identify properties and predict reactions halides.
- Identify properties and predict reactions of substituted alcohols
- Identify properties and predict reactions of ethers.
- Identify properties and predict reactions of thiols and sulfides.
- Identify properties and predict reactions of aromatic compounds.