CHE150A Introductory Organic Chem Lab
Lead Faculty: Dr Dzung T. Nguyen
Course DescriptionThis course is designed to introduce students to the practical aspects of organic chemistry. This course covers basic techniques for handling, analyzing, and identifying organic compounds. In addition, students will learn how to synthesize simple and practical small organic molecules.
- Draw the Lewis structure and predict chemical properties for various functional groups.
- Write the resonance structures and judge the order of stability for these structures.
- Apply the concepts of acid/base and nucleophile/electrophile to predict a chemical reaction.
- Recognize constitution (structural) isomers, configuration isomers, conformation isomers, and stereoisomers, and explain the difference in chemical and physical properties among these compounds.
- Predict reaction mechanisms for each of the functional groups.
- Draw molecular structures of important classes of biological molecules.