BIO450 Natural History of California
Lead Faculty: Dr. Michael R. Maxwell
Study of the flora, fauna, and biomes of California. This course includes field trips, with sites selected for each academic center within the University.
- Discuss common and distinctive plant and animal species in California.
- Identify at least 20 animal and 20 plant species that are native and/or endemic to California.
- Describe the biotic and abiotic features of California's biomes.
- Describe montane habitats and biomes in California, including the Sierra Nevada and Coastal Ranges.
- Describe freshwater and coastal marine habitats in California.
- Describe major terrestrial habitats and biomes in California, including the Central Valley, chaparral, and deserts.
- Discuss the major federal and state reserves and parks in California.