BIO407A Molecular Biology Lab
Lead Faculty: Dr. Michael R. Maxwell
This course emphasizes techniques essential to molecular biology including DNA extraction, purification and quantification; polymerase chain reactions; and restriction enzyme digestion.
- Isolate plasmid DNA from Escherichia coli by using the mini-prep and maxi-prep technique.
- Quantify DNA using a spectrophotometer, and perform restriction digestion and agarose gel electrophoresis.
- Amplify LacZ gene fragments by polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Perform artificial transformation of bacterial competent cells.
- Differentiate between southern, northern and western blotting by performing a southern blot experiment.