Lead Faculty: Dr. Michael R. Maxwell
Course DescriptionPrinciples of genetics and heredity. Topics include DNA replication and repair, gene expression and regulation, inheritance of traits, genetic engineering, relationship of genetics to human health, and application of genetics to understanding the evolution of species.
- Describe DNA as the molecule of heredity.
- Explain how genetic traits are transmitted according to Mendelian laws along two or more loci, and solve testcross experiments.
- Discuss patterns of human inheritance and genetic disorders.
- Explain the molecular mechanisms of replication, gene expression and regulation.
- Describe the fundamentals of genetic engineering and cloning.
- Explain the molecular mechanisms underlying mutations and DNA repair.
- Describe the evolutionary relationships among species at the molecular level.