Course DescriptionSurvey of the scope and importance of biodiversity. Examines concepts of biodiversity, with emphasis on the importance of biodiversity to ecosystem functioning and human society. Threats to biodiversity are considered, as well as conservation and preservation solutions.
- Describe biodiversity, including concepts of species richness and genetic diversity.
- Discuss global biodiversity, with attention to biogeographic distributions and endemic species.
- Explain the importance of biodiversity to ecosystem functioning.
- Explain the economic value and human benefits of conserving biodiversity, including medicine, food, cultural importance, and tourism.
- Describe threats to biodiversity, natural populations, species, and habitats.
- Formulate a policy, based on sound conservation principles, to manage biodiversity.