BIO161 General Biology 1
Lead Faculty: Dr. Huda Makhluf
Fundamental concepts of biochemistry, cell biology, genetics. Concepts include important organic molecules, cell structure and function, metabolism and enzyme activity, cellular respiration and photosynthesis, DNA structure, meiosis and mitosis, Mendelian genetics. Intended for science majors.
- Describe fundamental concepts in chemistry and biochemistry, including the properties of water, important organic molecules, acids and bases.
- Explain cell structure and function, and the difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
- Describe metabolism at the cellular level, including enzyme activity, cellular respiration, and photosynthesis.
- Explain the cell cycle, mitosis, and meiosis.
- Describe DNA structure and function, including replication, transcription, and translation.
- Explain Mendelian genetics and inheritance patterns.
- Calculate expected genotypic and phenotypic frequencies using Punnett squares.